nanog mailing list archives

Re: uunet ends newsfeed/newsreader in US

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 17:31:48 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "K. Scott Bethke" <scott () virtuaprise com>

No comment just a question... Why did it take so long?

All good things must come to an end. and for NNTP that end was when
web based Forums software and P2P was invented. Seriously does anyone
still use UUCP for email?

Yeah, that has nothing to do with whether Usenet is useful.

Nobody (to speak of) has used UUCP for *Usenet* since about 1997 or 8.

                            I thought it should have died when pr0n and
w4rez took it over (in the late 90's)..

And yet, I was a fairly active participant in several tech and rec groups
in 96 and 02-04ish, and it seemed perfectly serviceable to me.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com