nanog mailing list archives

Re: Open DNS Resolver reflection attack Mitigation

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer () nic fr>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 22:11:27 +0200

On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 12:56:23PM -0700,
 Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote
 a message of 28 lines which said:

IPv6 should be a simple matter of putting the same line in your
ip6tables file.

My experience with attack mitigation is that tools do not always work
as advertised and sometimes do bad things (such as crashing the
machine). So, I agree, it "should be a simple matter" but I prefer to
test first.

[For instance, my IPv4 rule required a maximum of 2^28 buckets in
memory while an IPv6 rule with --hashlimit-srcmask 64 would require a
maximum of 2^64 buckets... What will be the effect on the system
memory?]