nanog mailing list archives

Re: Open DNS Resolver reflection attack Mitigation

From: Joe Maimon <jmaimon () ttec com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 15:48:48 -0400

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 03:09:04PM -0400,
  Joe Maimon<jmaimon () ttec com>  wrote
  a message of 7 lines which said:

Is there any publicly available rate limiting for BIND?

Not as far as I know. I'm not sure it would be a good idea. BIND is
feature-rich enough.

I really hope you have a minority viewpoint on this one. I would really like to see it.

How about host-based IDS that can be used to trigger rtbh or iptables?

What I do (I manage a small and experimental open resolver) is to use
iptables this way (porting it to IPv6 is left as an exercice):

iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 53 -m hashlimit \
    --hashlimit-name DNS --hashlimit-above 20/second --hashlimit-mode srcip \
    --hashlimit-burst 100 --hashlimit-srcmask 28 -j DROP

So, every prefix (length 28) can send 20 r/s with allowed bursts of
100. This requires a Netfilter>= 1.4 (recent options of module
hashlimit).

Missing the amplification factor goodness google says they have, but I'll take it.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/security

Most iptables recipes that you find on the Web are not well suited to
DNS. They use connection tracking, for instance, while, with the DNS,
every request/response is a "connection".

I have a more complete article on this setup but in french only
<http://www.bortzmeyer.org/rate-limiting-dns-open-resolver.html>.

This sounds promising. I will give it a spin. Thank you!

Google and Level3 manage to run open resolvers, why cant I?

You have less money :-)

With help like yours, I hope to compensate for that.

Joe