nanog mailing list archives

Re: Open DNS Resolver reflection attack Mitigation

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 12:56:23 -0700

On Jun 8, 2012, at 12:26 PM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 03:09:04PM -0400,
Joe Maimon <jmaimon () ttec com> wrote
a message of 7 lines which said:

Is there any publicly available rate limiting for BIND?

Not as far as I know. I'm not sure it would be a good idea. BIND is
feature-rich enough.

How about host-based IDS that can be used to trigger rtbh or iptables?

What I do (I manage a small and experimental open resolver) is to use
iptables this way (porting it to IPv6 is left as an exercice):

iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 53 -m hashlimit \
  --hashlimit-name DNS --hashlimit-above 20/second --hashlimit-mode srcip \
  --hashlimit-burst 100 --hashlimit-srcmask 28 -j DROP

IPv6 should be a simple matter of putting the same line in your ip6tables file.

Owen