nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 /64 links (was Re: ipv6 book recommendations?)

From: Karl Auer <kauer () biplane com au>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 08:09:46 +1000

On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 16:42 -0400, Ricky Beam wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 17:17:37 -0400, Karl Auer wrote:
a) DAD only happens when an IPv6 node is starting up. ARP happens
whenever a node needs to talk to another node that it hasn't seen in
while.

DAD is a special case of ND.  It happens every time the system selects
an address. (i.e. startup with non-SLAAC address, and when privacy
extensions generates an address.)

Er - OK. I should have said "happens when an address is assigned to an
interface". It is still, however, way less traffic than ARP, which was
my point. Possible exception - a network where everyone is using privacy
addresses.

b) DAD only goes to solicited node multicast addresses

This assumes a network of devices that do multicast filtering,
correctly.

Yes, it does. It assumes a properly provisioned and configured IPv6
network. While that may not be common now, it will become more common.
And it is a self-correcting problem - people who don't want lots of
noise will implement their networks correctly, those who don't care will
do as they wish. No change there :-)

BTW, I'm assuming here that by "multicast filtering" you mean "switching
that properly snoops on MLD and sends multicast packets only to the
correct listeners".

c) Similarly, ND (the direct equivalent of ARP) goes only to
solicited node multicast addresses, ARP goes to every node on the
link.

Effectively the same as broadcast in the IPv6 world.  If everyone is
running IPv6, then everyone will see the packet. (things not running
ipv6 can filter it out, but odds are it'll be put on the cable.)

On this point I think you are wrong. Except for router advertisements,
most NDP packets are sent to a solicited node multicast address, and so
do NOT go to all nodes. It is "the same as broadcast" only in a network
with switches that do not do MLD snooping.

So I'm not sure how DAD traffic would exceed ARP traffic.

I wouldn't expect it to.

Nor would I - which was the point of my response to an original poster
who said it might.

Regards, K.

--
Karl Auer (kauer () biplane com au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer

GPG fingerprint: AE1D 4868 6420 AD9A A698 5251 1699 7B78 4EEE 6017
Old fingerprint: DA41 51B1 1481 16E1 F7E2 B2E9 3007 14ED 5736 F687