nanog mailing list archives

Re: using "reserved" IPv6 space

From: "Fred Baker (fred)" <fred () cisco com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 19:06:45 +0000

On Jul 13, 2012, at 8:05 AM, TJ wrote:

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 10:38 AM, -Hammer- <bhmccie () gmail com> wrote:

OK. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get some flak for this but I'll share this
question and it's background anyway. Please be gentle.

In the past, with IPv4, we have used reserved or "non-routable" space
Internally in production for segments that won't be seen anywhere else.
Examples? A sync VLAN for some FWs to share state. An IBGP link between
routers that will never be seen or advertised. In those cases, we have
often used 192.0.2.0/24. It's reserved and never used and even if it did
get used one day we aren't "routing" it internally. It's just on segments
where we need some L3 that will never be seen.

On to IPv6

I was considering taking the same approach. Maybe using 0100::/8 or
1000::/4 or A000::/3 as a space for this.

Would using "just" Link Locals not be sufficient?

If they're on the same link, of course. My understanding of the question said "they're not on the same link".

*(Failing that, as others noted, ULAs are the next "right" answer ... )*
*
*
/TJ