nanog mailing list archives

Re: using "reserved" IPv6 space

From: Oliver <olipro () 8 c 9 b 0 7 4 0 1 0 0 2 ip6 arpa>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 21:49:48 +0200

On Saturday 14 July 2012 09:18:48 Owen DeLong wrote:
Given that zone_IDs in my environments consist of terms like:

fxp0
en0
eth0
ge-0/0/0.0
etc.

How, exactly, would you turn those into part of an IPv6 address?

UTF-8? ASCII? if you go with a custom encoding and do 0-9,a-z, plus a few
symbols you can get 6 bits per char for a grand total of 10 chars squeezed
into 8 octets.

Any other address class will work well, but I'd rather not use reserved
space outside of GUA, ULA our LLA scopes to avoid bug-hunting on poorly
implemented IPv6 stacks.

+1

However, I still think GUA is the best, most flexible choice.

This brings up the question of "what is outside of LLA scope" - to my mind
it's everything outside of fe80::/10 - in reality, there's that unfortunate
tendency for it to be considered fe80::/64 when it comes down to
implementation.

Regards,
Oliver