nanog mailing list archives

Re: Choice of address for IPv6 default gateway

From: Sander Steffann <sander () steffann nl>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 09:49:01 +0100

Hi,

The issue of using FE80::1 everywhere (as the virtual IP in your FHRP
of choice) is operationally a wash, in terms of perceived complexity
from the front lines.  Do people give me quizzical expressions the
first time they learn/use it?  Absolutely.  But a small amount of
"getting comfortable" with def.gwy subnet =/= the intentionally
provisioned subnet is outweighed by the ease of "oh, it's the same
everywhere now."

I agree. I only had problems with VMWare ESXi here. You can't explicitly specify the interface for the default route
there.  With VMWare ESX you could, but since VSphere5 we don't have that option anymore :-(

- Sander