nanog mailing list archives

Re: Choice of address for IPv6 default gateway

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 15:22:37 -0800

On Jan 25, 2012, at 7:06 AM, Leo Bicknell wrote:

In a message written on Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 03:41:36PM +0100, Daniel STICKNEY wrote:
I've seen some documentation using <prefix>::1 with either a global
prefix or link-local (fe80::1). Anyone use either of these in production
and have negative or positive feedback? fe80::1 is seductive because it
is short and the idea of having the same default gateway configured
everywhere might be simple. At the same time using the same address all
around the network seems to invite confusion or problems if two
interfaces with the address ever ended up in the same broadcast domain.

I don't think the industry has really found a best practice to
document yet.  There are people trying different ideas.  We find
the following convention allows us to keep things organized:

<prefix>::1                  - Default gateway
<prefix>::<last octect IPv4> - Statically assigned servers.
<prefix>:<eui-64>            - Auto-configured host

If you need them to co-exist, you can also do things like:

<prefix>::<10240-20480>        - DHCP Pool

I'll note that 10240-20480 are not valid IPv6 suffixes and that you
would need to represent that as <prefix>::<2800-5000> and would
probably be better off to use something more like <prefix>::8:* as
your DHCP pool.

Owen