nanog mailing list archives

Re: Choice of address for IPv6 default gateway

From: "Dale W. Carder" <dwcarder () wisc edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 09:39:51 -0600

Hi Daniel,

On Jan 25, 2012, at 8:41 AM, Daniel STICKNEY wrote:
I'm having trouble finding authoritative sources on the best common
practice (if there even is one) for the choice of address for an IPv6
default gateway in a production server environment (not desktops). For
example in IPv4 it is common to chose the first or last address in the
subnet (.1 or .254 for example) as the VIP for VRRP/HSRP. I'm interested
in input from production environments and or ARIN/RIPE/IANA/etc or top
vendors.

Well, you're not going to find anything authoritative per se, but
we are using fe80::1 with HSRP on every LAN with v6 enabled.  More recent
HSRP implementations also support <prefix>::1, but that doesn't seem to
make any sense to me since link-local is where your gateway lives.

What about using RAs to install the default route on the servers? The
'priority' option (high/medium/low) easy fits with an architecture using
an active/standby router setup where the active router is configured
with the 'high' priority and the standby 'medium'. With the timeout
values tuned for relatively rapid (~3 seconds)  failover this might be
feasible. Anyone use this in production?

Our servers are statically assigned with prefix::1000 and counting up,
and fe80::1%int for the gateway.  Some servers are doing an IP per
service / customer.

In some initial deployments I did, RA Priority did not seem to be
observed.  That was 8 or 9 years ago so maybe that has changed, but it
was not comforting.

We were more worried about unintentional & rogue RA vs active/standby
routers.  Now that we have RA Guard deployed on > 100,000 edge ports,
that doesn't really matter anymore.

Dale