nanog mailing list archives

Re: Megaupload.com seized

From: Jacob Taylor <orangewinds () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 19:05:47 -0800

On Fri, 2012-01-20 at 11:14 +0000, Alec Muffett wrote:
On 20 Jan 2012, at 11:00, Tei wrote:

Fileshares can organize thenselves in sites based on a forum software
that is private by default (open with registration), then share some
"information" file that include the url to the files hosted, and the
key to unencrypt these files, and some metadata. A special desktop
program* would load that information file, and start the http
download.

At the risk of kicking over old ground, there are a bunch of privacy solutions like this; possibly the most complete
attempt (in terms of attempted privacy and distribution) is Freenet:

      http://freenetproject.org/whatis.html

...but it's slow; then there's Tahoe-LAFS - a decentralised filesystem:

      https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs

...but it's slow; then there are connection anonymisation tools like I2P and Tor, but - wonderful as they are -
they're slow.

Can you see a pattern developing that would be relevant to the downloader of 700Mb+ AVIs? :-)

It would be great to speed them through wider adoption, but until then...

      -a

Tahoe-lafs can be fast. A grid I help out with is often capable of
600kilobyte/per/second downloads (or faster), and I personally have
several files stored on there in excess of 500mb. Close enough to your
700mb movie example.

I use this storage as a CDN of sorts, as a friend wrote an HTTP
interface to the Tahoe-lafs grid.

Should you wish to see it in action, the code and download links are
over here --> http://cryto.net/projects/tahoe.html