nanog mailing list archives

Re: World IPv6 Launch Day - June 6, 2012

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 09:04:20 -0800

On Jan 18, 2012, at 8:46 AM, Christopher Morrow wrote:

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 11:38 PM, Shumon Huque <shuque () isc upenn edu> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 08:17:40PM -0800, Owen DeLong wrote:
Another very sad thing about it:

delong-dhcp202:owen (9) ~ % host www.worldipv6launch.org                   2012/01/16 21:24:21
www.worldipv6launch.org is an alias for www.worldipv6launch.org.edgesuite.net.
www.worldipv6launch.org.edgesuite.net is an alias for a1448.b.akamai.net.
a1448.b.akamai.net has address 72.246.53.104
a1448.b.akamai.net has address 72.246.53.8

I don't seem to be able to get to the site on IPv6.

Owen

I heard that it initially had AAAA records. After the site
couldn't keep up with the initial load, it was migrated to
Akamai's CDN (the DNS records you see now are those), and
Akamai doesn't yet offer IPv6 in production, so no IPv6.

there are places in this world with working v6 at scale.... the folk
involved COULD use them.
(I thought, actually, that akamai's v6 offering was actually
production, just not wide-spread?)

In fairness, it is up on IPv6 today. I don't know exactly when that
happened, but, kudos to ISOC and Akamai for getting it done
fairly quickly.

Akamai does have a trial IPv6 program though - we host IPv6
capable Akamai nodes on our campus for example, and a non
production version of our university website is using it -
so ISOC could try seeing if they could be hosted on that
infrastructure.

My question is when is FiOS going to get v6 natively? could we get the
engineers there to actually do something as opposed to trials of
non-production systems that'll never actually get deployed? :)

My understanding is that some areas have native IPv6 on FIOS.

Owen