nanog mailing list archives

Re: How are you doing DHCPv6 ?

From: "Brzozowski, John" <John_Brzozowski () Cable Comcast com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 00:31:25 +0000

On 1/17/12 6:37 PM, "Daniel Roesen" <dr () cluenet de> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 06:19:28PM -0500, Randy Carpenter wrote:
You might want to give this a read:

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-redundancy-consider-02.txt

That doesn't really help us if we want to deploy before that draft
becomes a standard.

Well, it more or less just presents options (workarounds for missing
proper HA sync).
[jjmb] correct.  FWIW the IETF dhcwg is currently working on DHCPv6
failover/redundancy.  See here for the requirements:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mrugalski-dhc-dhcpv6-failover-requirements
-00

Are there any DHCPv6 servers currently that actually function in a
fashion that is suitable for service providers?

Without specifying your requirements, that's hard to say. If you're
looking for fully state-sync'ed DHCPv6 server HA, I'm not aware of any.
[jjmb] same here, I expect a specification would be required first.

Cisco unfortunately pushed that another year into the future for CNR, so
we're resorting for now to the "Split Prefixes" model described in
abovementioned draft, effectively halving our DHCPv6-PD pools and thus
exacerbates the negative effects of RIPE's overly converservative
policy (HD-Ratio 0.94) on IPv6 by effectively stealing one bit (half
the address space) just for redundancy. :-(
[jjmb] we have to do what we have to do, the good news migration to a
proper failover model should be straight forward.

Best regards,
Daniel

--
CLUE-RIPE -- Jabber: dr () cluenet de -- dr@IRCnet -- PGP: 0xA85C8AA0