nanog mailing list archives

Re: Common operational misconceptions

From: Leigh Porter <leigh.porter () ukbroadband com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 08:32:07 +0000

On 15 Feb 2012, at 20:50, "John Kristoff" <jtk () cymru com> wrote:

Hi friends,

As some of you may know, I occasionally teach networking to college
students and I frequently encounter misconceptions about some aspect
of networking that can take a fair amount of effort to correct.

For instance, a topic that has come up on this list before is how the
inappropriate use of classful terminology is rampant among students,
books and often other teachers.  Furthermore, the terminology isn't even
always used correctly in the original context of classful addressing.

When I took an A level computing course in the 90s the course material still talked about primary stor and backing
stor, batch jobs and the like...

Needless to say I quit in disgust but the point is that the people who write these courses are often woefully out of
touch.

--
Leigh