nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGPttH. Neustar can do it, why can't we?

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 13:15:26 -1000

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:
That's simply not true at all...

Let's look at what it takes to configure BGP as I suggested...

1. The ASN number of the two providers
2. The ASN to be used for the local side
3. The IP Address to use on the local end of each connection
4. The IP Address to peer with on each connection
5. The prefix(es) to be advertised.

Add to that:

6. Primary A, Primary B, Balanced (routing priority via AS path prepends)
7. Optional password for each session (some ISPs require one)

Or take another tack: have the SOHO router accept a URL for each BGP
connection and have the provider build the config. Then all you enter
is your provider-assigned interface address, a DNS server address and
a URL.

Your point is well taken. A leaf node BGP configuration could be
simplified to the point where it fits on a SOHO router config page and
does not require an expert to configure.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004