nanog mailing list archives

Re: iCloud - Is it going to hurt access providers?

From: Seth Mos <seth.mos () dds nl>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 20:06:05 +0200

Op 3 sep 2011, om 19:49 heeft Jimmy Hess het volgende geschreven:

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 6:20 AM, Skeeve Stevens <Skeeve () eintellego net> wrote:

My guess is that 99% of consumer internet access is Asymmetrical (DSL, Cable, wireless, etc) and iCloud when
launched will 'upload' obscene amounts of gigs of music, tv, backups, email, photos, documents/data and so on to
their data centres.

since a majority of music files backed up would be file-identical
with  material  someone else had already backed up,
and identical to material  already in  the iTunes store  (which they
could pre-seed their database with).

How would storage vendors otherwise sell de duplication. I mean you could make the application smarter but that
wouldn't sell more spinning rust or licenses.

Regards,

Seth