nanog mailing list archives

RE: Outgoing SMTP Servers

From: Brian Johnson <bjohnson () drtel com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 18:24:22 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Bonomi [mailto:bonomi () mail r-bonomi com]
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:50 PM
To: nanog () nanog org
Subject: Re: Outgoing SMTP Servers

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 13:53:34 -0000, Brian Johnson said:

It is interesting that some people who fully understand that the Internet is
composed of many networks run by people with different interests can say
what
is best for the Internet as a whole. How my organization (or yours or
anybody
else's) runs our network, is between us and our paying users.

That claim is true *ONLY* to the extent that 'how your organization runs
your network' does _not_ have an adverse effect on other peoples networks.

The fact of the matter is that you do not have a viable business without
the collective 'tolerance'/'approval' of the rest of the world.

OK.

You, and your organization, need them far more than they need you.

Argumentative and unnecessary.

_How_ you pro-actively ensure spam does not exit from your network IS your
business.

That you *do* do so _is_ within the action purveiw of the 'rest of the world'.

Judge me as you will. My customers will determine if I change this policy. Their judgment is all that matters in this
circumstance as the external Internet community has the access that the Internet community needs relative to this
instance.

"Doing so" requires that you _actively_ monitor the behavior of your
customers
and have 'ways and means' in place to (a) detect, and (b) _stop_ immediately
upon detection, such abusive behavior by your customers.

One of the 'easiest', and most _cost-effective_ ways of doing so *is* to
force all outgoing mail from your customers through a 'choke point' for
examination/filtering/blckcing.

The simplest way of doing that, *without* running afoul of 'wiretapping'
statutes. is to require, by policy and by blocking direct external access,
that customer out-bound email traffic go through your servers, and doing
the necessary 'inspection' there.

I think you support my position, but I could be convinced otherwise. :)

Be careful with you punctuation. I got lost a few times there :)

- Brian