nanog mailing list archives

Re: General Internet Instability

From: Todd Snyder <todd () hatescomputers org>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 11:09:35 -0500

Can anyone point to any authoritative updates about this?

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net> wrote:

On Nov 7, 2011, at 10:08 AM, Tom Hill wrote:

On Mon, 2011-11-07 at 10:00 -0500, Todd Snyder wrote:
We seem to be having some problems with our tata links - first seen in
EU
about 45 minutes ago, now we're seeing problems in NA.  I'm focused on
DNS,
so I'm seeing a lot of timeouts/servfails, but our networking folks are
talking about links dropping.

Anyone else seeing oddness on the NA Internet right now?

http://downrightnow.com/ confirms - something is up.

There are widespread issues across the Internet; certain versions of
Juniper firmware have core dumped after seeing a particular BGP 'UPDATE'
message.

(That's the running theory at least).

It's affected multiple service providers, globally, not just those
connected to TATA.

Pretty much any major BGP event will impact multiple providers.

A threshold you should use to view the general instability (which I find
valuable, you may as well) is route views data.

If you look at the BGP UPDATES archive sizes, you can see when something
happens, e.g.:

http://archive.routeviews.org/bgpdata/2011.11/UPDATES/

Take a look at the size of the updates.20111107.1400.bz2 file and the 1415
file.  They are abnormally large compared to a normal period of time.  This
shows there were a lot of updates out there being processed and a reference
to levels of instability.

If you are not feeding route views or similar community projects, please
consider doing so.  It helps paint the view for those doing analysis.

- Jared