nanog mailing list archives

Re: Contention/Oversubscription maths

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 10:28:41 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Armstrong" <lists () memetic org>

Statistics and graphs i've seen offlist have been very helpful, and
suggest that 1000 100mbit customers is doable on 1GE.

Probably.

Atleast, today. Next year's (decade?) launch of the YouView platform in
the UK should increase usage a lot, not to mention a service like
Netflix starting in the UK. We have some movie streaming services, but
they generally suck and are quite low bitrate.

The short version is: if you oversubscribe, you *will* eventually have Busy
Hours, just like telcos.  The question is: how often.  Telcos have books
that tell them this...

Cheers,
-- jr 'Royal Wedding' a
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com