nanog mailing list archives

Re: Contention/Oversubscription maths

From: Adam Armstrong <lists () memetic org>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 15:52:08 +0100

On 27/05/2011 15:49, Shaun Bryant wrote:
I run a WISP, where we have moved customers from 3mb/s to 8mb/s to 20mb/s over the course of 5 years. We do this one tower at a time (about 150 customers) what we have learned is usage grows overtime not with the increase in available bandwidth. Our Per-Customer-Avg (PCA) stayed about the same with each bump in bandwidth, the avg user does not use more bandwidth because they have more bandwidth or at least not our 1200 customers.

That said we have had our PCA move up more then 30% in the last 7 months due mainly to Netflix, the nice thing is this usage is "off peak" for our business customers and as such has not been a concern.

Yeah, I fully expect this.

In previous networks I've generally seen a doubling of traffic every 12 months. Generally the traffic is static during spring/summer, and then doubles over 6 months in autumn/winter.

Though, I'm not sure how this will manifest itself with such high access speeds.

adam.