nanog mailing list archives

Re: How do you put a TV station on the Mbone?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 15:45:06 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Bonser" <gbonser () seven com>

So using multicast for things like software updates to computers over
the general internet to the general public probably isn't going to
work.
Encryption is also an issue because it doesn't really work well over
multicast. How do I encrypt something in a way that anyone can decrypt
but nobody can duplicate? If I have a separate stream per user, that
is
easy. If I have one stream for all users, that is harder. The answer
is probably in some sort of digital signature but not really
encryption.

Um, yeah; that'd be private key digital signature.

Using public/private key encryption over multicast, I would have to
distribute the private key so others could decrypt the content. If
they have the private key, they can generate a public key to use to
generate content.

Encryption is probably overkill anyway. What is needed is a mechanism
simply to say that the content is certified to have come from the
source it claims to come from. So ... basically ... better not to use
multicast for anything you really might have any security issues with.
Fine for broadcasting a video, not so fine for a kernel update.

Nah; you're overthinking it.  Signed updates solve the problem just fine.

Note that Linux (SuSE/YAST/YOU) does this already.

But you *are* expanding the attack surface, and the signature/PKI
infrastructure has to be correspondingly more robust.

Cheers,
-- jra