nanog mailing list archives

Re: How do you put a TV station on the Mbone?

From: Loránd Jakab <ljakab () ac upc edu>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 17:36:03 +0200

On 05/05/11 00:15, Jeff Young wrote:
The most ambitious use of multicast I'm aware of is AT&T's UVerse
network which multicasts (SS) from two
head-ends all the way to the set top box in a home.  But this is
confined to the AT&T network and UVerse is
arguably a "me-too" offering to compete with Time Warner Cable and others.

Telefonica has a similar multicast deployment in its Spanish network,
marketed as Imagenio, so this proves that multicast can be quite useful
within a provider's own network. Too bad the economic incentives are not
so clear/inexistent for transit networks.

-Lorand Jakab

jy