nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 SEO implecations?

From: William Pitcock <nenolod () systeminplace net>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 17:47:10 -0500

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 15:18:30 -0700
Wil Schultz <wschultz () bsdboy com> wrote:

I'm attempting to find out information on the SEO implications of
testing ipv6 out.

A couple of concerns that come to mind are:

1) www.domain.com and ipv6.domain.com are serving the exact same
content. Typical SEO standards are to only serve good content from a
single domain so information isn't watered down and so that the
larger search engines won't penalize. So a big concern is having
search results take a hit because content is duplicated through two
different domains, even though one domain is ipv4 only and the other
is ipv6 only.

2) Not running ipv6 natively, or using 6to4.
This (potentially) increases hop count and will put content on a
slower GRE tunnel and add some additional time for page load times.

3) ??? Any others that I haven't thought of ???

If you are so concerned about SEO, just dual-stack your site.  It works
well for me.

William