nanog mailing list archives

Re: New tsunami advisory warning - Japan

From: Jeroen van Aart <jeroen () mompl net>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 15:40:25 -0700

Michael Thomas wrote:
Gavin Pearce wrote:
*yawn*.  A foot and a half isn't going to be all *that* bad

Sorry to continue off topic:

Try to imagine ... a temporary very high tide, rather than a cresting
wave. In addition to the "height", it's the wave-length you have to take
into account. Tsunami's rarely become towering breaking waves.

Quite right. The other part is that the water becomes a very fast moving
river, especially in places where it's not normally one. Watching the

I don't underestimate the power of even a small tsunami. I have friends rendered homeless by the Santa Cruz tsunami (their boat being their only home).

Though I can understand one is underwhelmed by a mag 6.x earthquake in that region considering I believe more than 20 6+ ones happened there since the first mag 7.2 earthquake that happened 2-3 days before the mag 9 one.

Most recent ones:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Maps/10/145_40_eqs.php

--
http://goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/