nanog mailing list archives

Re: The growth of municipal broadband networks

From: Joly MacFie <joly () punkcast com>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 17:07:11 -0400

Again excellent points. And I agree, in the current UK model there appears
very little opportunity for independent ISPs to offer any significantly
improved service over the incumbent's own, and thereby grab market share.
It's all a matter of what else one can package with it - effectively the
separation principle anyway.

Creating the conditions for network competition is a hard problem with no
easy answers.

Where there's a will there's a way. The big question, to some extent is, is
there the will?

One doesn't miss one's water etc. I was cheered to see in the recent
Canadian usage pricing fracas, Marc Garneau handing out buttons saying "My
Internet Shouldn't Suck"[1], and also to see Susan Crawford urging students
to take to the streets over the issue [2] before it's too late. But it's
going to take the equivalent of 10 Tahrir Squares to overcome the incumbent
clout and establishment inertia.

Meanwhile we are seeing widening pre-emptive strikes like N. Carolina. the
incumbents ride roughshod over everyone stating words to the effect - if we
can't gouge we won't build..

There surely still have to be answers, however tough - and some kind of
separation would seem to be an inescapable component.

I am no techie, but alternatively I imagine what could be practically
discussed is how much new technologies like cheap plastic fiber driving
little wi-fi chips, mesh etc, could give those communities that haven't
already been legislated out of the game an opportunity to economically and
successfully build their own connectivity. [3]

[1]
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/crtc-wont-include-retail-services-in-internet-price-hearing/article1938694/
[2] http://isoc-ny.org/p2/?p=1930 <http://isoc-ny.org/p2/?p=1930>
[3] I am in the process of organizing a panel to discuss same at the INET NY
on Jun 14, expressions of interest welcome
offlist<joly () punkcast com?subject=INET-NY>
.