nanog mailing list archives

Re: The growth of municipal broadband networks

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 09:28:26 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Bonser" <gbonser () seven com>

I would say they provide network access only, not content. They would
be kept out of providing content and kept in the business of reliably
connecting content to consumer. That would be their focus.

We aren't even suggesting that, George.  We're suggesting that they *provide
access to people who provide network access*; we (most of us, anyway) don't
even think the muni's should provide IP routing.  They should provide
*connectivity* to people who do that.  And given how STBs work these days,
those wholesale customers could even be cablecos, in addition to telcos,
or IAPs.

Cheers,
-- jra