nanog mailing list archives

Re: Regional AS model

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 13:40:23 -0600

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 24, 2011, at 12:42 PM, Zaid Ali <zaid () zaidali com> wrote:

I have seen age old discussions on single AS vs multiple AS for backbone and datacenter design. I am particularly
interested in operational challenges for running AS per region e.g. one AS for US, one EU etc or I have heard folks
do one AS per DC. I particularly don't see any advantage in doing one AS per region or datacenter since most of the
reasons I hear is to reduce the iBGP mesh. I generally prefer one AS  and making use of confederation.

Zaid

If you have good backbone between the locations, then, it's mostly a matter of personal preference. If you have
discreet autonomous sites that are not connected by internal circuits (not VPNs), then, AS per site is greatly
preferable.

Owen