nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv4 address shortage? Really?

From: Scott Morris <swm () emanon com>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 08:18:37 -0500

It would be a lot easier to do it by continent.

3 bits at prepend.  We only have 7 of those and Antarctica likely
doesn't need several billion addresses anyway.   Got some leftover for
the United Federation of Planets.  :)   (or whatever other
semi-practical use that may be dreamed up)

You could do the same type of thing with E.164 country code ideas, but
that may be a bit stranger and drive the need for more RIRs along the way.

Scott