nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 and DNS

From: Matthew Palmer <mpalmer () hezmatt org>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 11:07:53 +1000

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 01:46:20PM -0400, Jeff Kell wrote:
On 6/12/2011 11:44 AM, Matthew Palmer wrote:
I don't believe we were talking about DHCPv6, we were talking about SLAAC.
And I *still* think it's a better idea for the client to be registering
itself in DNS; the host knows what domain(s) it should be part of, and hence
which names refer to itself and should be updated with it's new address.

Register with "what/which" DNS?   If no DHCPv6 no DNS information has
been acquired, so you're doing the magical anycast/multicast.

RFC6106, or local recursive resolver.  Also, recursive resolution is not the
same as DDNS registration with an authoritative server.

Not a fan of self-registration, in IPv4 we have DHCP register the DDNS
update; after all, it just handed out an address for a zone/domain that
*it* knows for certain.

No, it handed out *an* *address*.  Assuming that everything that wants an
address also wants the whole shebang is a whole other issue.

The host "knows what domains it should be part of" ??  Perhaps a server
or a fixed desktop, but otherwise (unless you're a big fan of
ActiveDirectory anywhere) the domain is relative to the environment you
just inherited.

No it isn't.  If I want someone to talk to my laptop, and I happen to be
roadwarrioring at a client site, do I want to say "hey, just hit
floozy.hezmatt.org", or do I want to have to ask someone "what domain will
my laptop be registered as?" and then work it out from there?

Letting any host register itself in my domain from any address/location
is scary as heck :)

So don't do that, then.  Only let hosts that you want to have in your domain
register whatever their current address is.

- Matt

--
A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.