nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 and DNS

From: Matthew Palmer <mpalmer () hezmatt org>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 01:44:02 +1000

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 08:59:50AM -0500, Jimmy Hess wrote:
On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Matthew Palmer <mpalmer () hezmatt org> wrote:
The router isn't assigning an address, it's merely telling everyone on the
segment what the local prefix and default route is.  As such, there's no
reason why the router should try to register a DNS entry.

However, it would be logical to extend the DHCPv6 protocol to allow for
registration of the workstation address in DNS by the DHCPv6 management
server  to be requested (similar to DHCPv4).

I don't believe we were talking about DHCPv6, we were talking about SLAAC.
And I *still* think it's a better idea for the client to be registering
itself in DNS; the host knows what domain(s) it should be part of, and hence
which names refer to itself and should be updated with it's new address.

- Matt