nanog mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft's participation in World IPv6 day

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 09:53:02 -0500

On 6/8/2011 12:42 AM, Christopher Palmer wrote:
I'm not an ISP - but I absolutely expect that IPv6 roll-outs have
long time-horizons and are fairly complex. So I hope folks are
looking at IPv6 NOW, and not simply waiting for
Google/Bing/Yahoo/Interwebz to enable permanent content access and
organizational justification.

To be fair, I think any ISP worth it's salt is working on IPv6 access roll-outs, but there are a lot of considerations. A content provider generally doesn't want to hurt their own connectivity and service quality, which is why using IPv6 on the main sites has generally been frowned upon. An ISP has to deal with customers when these problems arise and actually absorbs the costs of dealing with them. As such, it's not unreasonable for many ISPs to delay rollouts to all customers.

It's my honest belief that we have natural progression. The peering arrangements are getting sorted out, IPv6 pathing is slowly reaching par with IPv4 pathing in the largest networks. Content providers are testing and verifying service levels with dual stack. Access networks are deploying IPv6 up to the edge and in some cases releasing it to the customers. ARIN is fixing their policies.

It could be better, but I think everyone is on the right track.

Jack