nanog mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft's participation in World IPv6 day

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 00:13:25 -0700

On Jun 7, 2011, at 10:42 PM, Christopher Palmer wrote:

The title of this ongoing thread is giving me heart palpitations.

Content access over IPv6 may help "justify" ISPs investing in IPv6, but it in no means is a prerequisite technically.

LSNs are "fine" when deployed in parallel with IPv6 IMHO. There has to be a pathway to "good" networking.

How many of them are you planning on maintaining? May I quote you on this after you've been doing so for
a year and received 2 or three lovely FISA subpoenas for your LSN logs?

To Lorenzo's point - I really think the next big hurdle in the transition is getting access numbers to something
respectable. World IPv6 Day has only be going for a few hours, but things seem to be going fine, and it's our hope
(currently) to keep www.xbox.com available over IPv6 indefinitely. I expect other participants will keep IPv6 enabled
for some or all of their respective portfolios.

I agree with Lorenzo to a point, but...

Access will happen in due time by virtue of IPv4 runout. If content is available dual-stack ahead of that,
it dramatically reduces the need for (and load on) LSN. If it is not, then, LSN is going to be a much much
uglier situation to an extent that it might even have a catch-22 effect on IPv6 deployment in the
eyeball networks.

This leads me to worry that in 6-18 months we'll be in a position where a lot of major content has permanently
transitioned, and we're still at <1% access range. That will be awkward.

Not really.

I'm not an ISP - but I absolutely expect that IPv6 roll-outs have long time-horizons and are fairly complex. So I
hope folks are looking at IPv6 NOW, and not simply waiting for Google/Bing/Yahoo/Interwebz to enable permanent
content access and organizational justification.

I don't think any of them are really waiting for that. However, I do think getting to that point is actually more
critical at this juncture than getting the eyeball networks fully deployed.

Owen

Christopher.Palmer () microsoft com
IPv6 @ Microsoft