nanog mailing list archives

Re: Wacky Weekend: NERC to relax power grid frequency strictures

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:07:08 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael DeMan" <nanog () deman com>

It is my understanding also that most commercial grade gensets have
built into the ATS logic that when utility power comesback online,
that the transfer back to utility power is coordinated with the ATS
driving the generator until both frequency and phases are within a
user specified range?

I don't believe that's actually true, Mike.  In a *load transfer*
configuration, it's really not all that critical if the power presented
to the load skips phase a touch on the transfer; there's a 50-500ms gap
in the power anyway, since such transfer switches are required by the
NEC to be non-shorting, so they don't electrocute power workers.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com