nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is NAT can provide some kind of protection?

From: Mark Smith <nanog () 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc nosense org>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 18:30:16 +1030

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 00:12:26 -0500
Jim Gettys <jg () freedesktop org> wrote:

On 01/15/2011 06:30 PM, Mark Smith wrote:
On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 18:06:06 -0500 (EST)
Brandon Ross<bross () pobox com>  wrote:

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011, Brian Keefer wrote:

Actually there are a couple very compelling reasons why PAT will
probably be implemented for IPv6:

You are neglecting the most important reason, much to my own disdain.
Service providers will continue to assign only a single IP address to
residential users unless they pay an additional fee for additional
addresses.

How do you know - have you asked 100% of the service providers out
there and they've said unanimously that they're only going to supply a
single IPv6 address?

Can we *please* stop this pointless thread?

I don't think it pointless to network operators - NAT or not has
operational impacts on troubleshooting, network design, addressing plans
etc. I understand you aren't a network operator, so if you're not
interested perhaps you should unsubscribe.

Thanks,
Mark.