nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is Cisco equpiment de facto for you?

From: "Tony Varriale" <tvarriale () comcast net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 09:04:38 -0600

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brandon Kim" <brandon.kim () brandontek com>
To: <cra () wpi edu>; "nanog group" <nanog () nanog org>
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:46 AM
Subject: RE: Is Cisco equpiment de facto for you?

For ISL, I know they are trying to phase that out. For the exams, they are based on dot1q.....

Even if I had all cisco equipment, I'd try to go with standards because you never know down the road where you may
need to use another vendor.

I wouldn't use EIGRP if given a choice, I'd go with OSPF or RIPv2.

The main problem with this is RIP sucks and there aren't a lot of people out there that are really good with OSPF. For every one legit design and implementation of OSPF, I've seen 50 with every thing in 0 and config statements everywhere.

For companies that don't have real dedicated networking people, EIGRP is much more easy to admin and troubleshoot.

tv