nanog mailing list archives

Re: Level 3's IRR Database

From: Nick Hilliard <nick () foobar org>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 17:15:02 +0000

On 30/01/2011 09:08, Jeff Wheeler wrote:
This brings me to my point, which is that IRR is very good for
preventing accidents and automating some common tasks.  It should be
"secure" to a point, but just because a route: object exists does not
mean that mntner: really has authority over that address space.

Depends on which IRR you use. The IRRDBs run by RIPE, APNIC and AfriNIC implement hierarchical object ownership, which means that if you're registering their address space, you can only do so if that address space legitimately belongs to you. This isn't the case on third party IRRDBs like RADB, L3 and AltDB.

Nick