nanog mailing list archives

Re: quietly....

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 17:32:48 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Huff" <mhuff () ox com>

It really is a different universe for University/ISP versus corporate
networks. Neither is wrong or right, but both have different needs. My
complaint is that my sense is that Ipv6 was designed and favors the
ISP environment rather than corporate networks.

A corporate network really does want to ignore next year's new hot
protocol unless it makes business sense to support it. There may be
regulatory reasons to block it (we are required to archive all email
and instant messages) or management may decide it's a waste of time to
support or management may feel it's a waste of people's work time to
use. Obviously as a end-user with residential FTTH, I want something
completely different from my ISP.

To steal some telco terminology, and tie into my previous reply to Valdis,
*what is the demarcation point*?

In most cases, it's the edge router.

In .edu, it's generally a departmental or resnet router, or even closer to
the end workstations than that.

But inside the demarc, policy and engineering may -- and nearly always
will -- hew to different standards.

Cheers,
-- jra