nanog mailing list archives

Re: quietly....

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 10:12:02 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Owen DeLong" <owen () delong com>

It's not transparent to:
Application Developers
Operating Systems
Home Gateway Developers
Consumer Electronics Developers
Technical Support departments
My users who are trying to talk to your users using applications that
are designed to work in a NAT-free world.
My technical support department that gets the "we can't reach them"
calls from my users who can't reach your users.

It may not be your first trip to the rodeo, but, you do appear to have
a rather limited perspective on the far reaching detriments of NAT.

This is possible.  The networks I administer are, admittedly, smaller ones,
and they tend to be business-aimed, and thereby have a more strictly limited
set of policy-allowed uses... which I've set.

Customer transit networks will necessarily expose a larger set of usage...
but they also generally (Rose.net notwithstanding) don't apply NAT.

I see cogent arguments on both sides of the issue.

And my thanks to those on this part of this thread who've supplied
actual explanations, rather than merely assertions.

Cheers,
-- jra