nanog mailing list archives

Re: quietly....

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 00:18:43 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jimmy Hess" <mysidia () gmail com>

There's no reason for the internet community to re-design every
protocol to allow and
try to function in a NAT environment, for the benefit of a small
number of edge networks,
who want a private castle with hosts on their network not connected
to the internet,
for no reason that has been adequately justified.

Justify, yourself in turn, "small number".  My personal estimate of the
number of NATted edge networks is well north of 75%, on a network count
basis.

No one has ever provided me with a serviceable explanation of why a
stateful firewall
is an insufficient method for implementing any desired network policy,
with
regards to limiting accepted traffic to outbound connections for nodes
on an edge network.

Complexity of the configuration vastly increases the size of the
attack surface: in a NATted edge network, *no packets can come in
unless I explicitly configure for them*; there are any number of
reasons why an equivalently simply assertion cannot be made concerning
the configuration of firewalls, of whatever type or construction.

In a firewall, you are *fighting* the default "route this packet"
design; in a NATgate, you have to consciously throw the packets
over the moat.

I've never been clear why this isn't intiutively obvious to the people
with whom I have to have this argument.

Cheers,
-- jra