nanog mailing list archives

Re: What vexes VoIP users?

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:59:18 -0800

On 2/28/2011 15:35, Joe Greco wrote:

There may be no compelling reason to do so, at least.  However, digital
gear offers benefits, and some people want them.  Others, like me, live
in bad RF environments where POTS picks up too much noise unless you
very carefully select your gear and shield your cables.  Further, the
digital phones support other features, such as the ability to manage
multiple calls seamlessly, present Caller-ID reliably (even while you
are on another call), etc.

ISDN would have fit the bill nicely as a digital home phone line.
However, it never became popular in the US. I once read on Wikipedia
that it was popular in Germany.

~Seth