nanog mailing list archives

Re: What vexes VoIP users?

From: Cutler James R <james.cutler () consultant com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 16:33:04 -0500

On Feb 28, 2011, at 1:29 PM, Bret Clark wrote:

On 02/28/2011 01:17 PM, Leigh Porter wrote:

VoIP at the last mile is just too niche at the moment. It's for people on this list, not my mother.

--
Leigh

Baloney...if that was the case, then all these ILEC's wouldn't be whining about POT's lines decreasing exponentially
year over year!

I would suggest that the exponential decrease in POTS is driven by cell phones, not VOIP - I just get my cell phone
from the store, any store, and use it, almost anywhere. It's just like my land line but without the wire tether. I get
wireless without VOIP complications.

Of course, we could discuss Long Distance rates for land lines vs cell or Skype (VOIP for almost free). But that is
really another discussion.

James R. Cutler
james.cutler () consultant com