nanog mailing list archives

Re: [arin-ppml] NAT444 rumors (was Re: Looking for an IPv6naysayer...)

From: Scott Helms <khelms () ispalliance net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 13:19:29 -0500

Given that virtually all of the "popular" applications are ignorant of the underlying infrastructure I don't see this happening. Its simply too expensive to build something and not get it in front of as many eyeballs as possible even (perhaps especially) if your application is free (ad supported). We've only seen the large scale shift to applications really being mobile aware in the last few years. Anyone else remember when WAP was supposed to (and didn't) make a huge splash on mobile web use?
One thing they can do, and I would live to see some popular destination
site do this, is to say something like:

"we have this really cool new thing we are rolling out but, sorry, it is
available only via IPv6" or "we will continue supporting all of today's
features on v4 but all new features will be rolled out on v6 only".

That would result in eyeballs demanding access to that content and
nothing drives innovation like customer demand does.

--
Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology