nanog mailing list archives

RE: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

From: "George Bonser" <gbonser () seven com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 01:08:10 -0800

When I switched to ADSL I'm pretty sure I was offered the choice of a
single public IP address on the outside of my router, or a /29 public
range for my home network (and presumably also a public address for
the
external interface of my router). I chose the former and don't regret
having done so. I can do a mixture of static and dynamic NAT to allow
things from the outside into particular internal hosts if I want do.

This was in 2005, and I can very well believe this choice was not
available some time later.

I had a similar setup at one time, I believe it was from Speakeasy but I
can't remember, might have been a Covad beta with another provider that
my late wife was working for when ADSL was brand new.  Not saying it
can't be or isn't done; just that for the vast majority (probably
something like 90% or more) it isn't.

George