nanog mailing list archives

Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

From: Adam Atkinson <ghira () mistral co uk>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 09:02:32 +0000

George Bonser wrote:

I have yet to see a broadband provider that configures a network so that
individual nodes in the home network get global IPs.

When I switched to ADSL I'm pretty sure I was offered the choice of a single public IP address on the outside of my router, or a /29 public range for my home network (and presumably also a public address for the external interface of my router). I chose the former and don't regret having done so. I can do a mixture of static and dynamic NAT to allow things from the outside into particular internal hosts if I want do.

This was in 2005, and I can very well believe this choice was not available some time later.