nanog mailing list archives

Re: De-bogon not possible via arin policy.

From: David Conrad <drc () virtualized org>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 08:16:12 -0800

Jimmy,

On Dec 14, 2011, at 11:14 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:
A RFC1918 network is not a "normal" network; and this is not a
renumbering in the same manner as a renumbering from public IP space
to new public IP space.

I'll admit I haven't been following ARIN policy making for some time.  Can you point to the ARIN policy that makes this
distinction?

In other words:   What is the technical justification that all those
rfc1918  addressed hosts suddenly need to be moved  immediately,   and
not over a normal allocation time frame for new public networks?

I used RFC 1918 space as an example.  A more likely scenario is needing to renumber out of recently allocated squat
space (particularly in situations where RFC 1918 is not an alternative).

That means the RIR has to establish that the criterion is good enough.
"I have a rfc1918 /16 that I use,  so give me a public /16, please"
is not good enough.

That would essentially provide a backdoor around normal RIR justified
need policy, if it were allowed......

Hmm.  If one makes the assumption that the (1918/squat) address space is being used in an efficient manner and there is
a business/technical requirement to renumber that space into public space, I would have thought the acceptance of
justification would depend more on the business/technical requirement, not the fact that 1918/squat space is being used.

Regards,
-drc