nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon Business - LTE?

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 07:24:08 -0700

On Aug 16, 2011, at 11:52 PM, Måns Nilsson wrote:

Subject: Re: Verizon Business - LTE? Date: Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 11:49:38AM -0400 Quoting chris (tknchris () gmail
com):
Overall, IMO the trends are just seem to be going backwards. We have more
speed but we can use it less? What kind of technology advancement is that?

I've had "unlimited" gprs, edge, 3g, and never really seen any kind of
actual cap. Sure they were slower but I didn't have to worry about getting
surprised on my next bill. If my edge from 5+ years ago could 3gb/day and
90gb a month how is 4G at 5gb an improvement of the service?

In Sweden, I've seen several people in public transportation run
Bittorrent clients on 3G. There might have been 9g a month for you
back then, but nobody else did it. Now, every laptop has a 3G card. And
they're getting used. With a sensible distribution of users over cells,
the bottleneck is backhaul. Many towers started out with a couple bundled
E1 circuits. Upgrading them to Ethernet over something (because Ethernet
is the new black) costs a lot, apparently.

Takes a lot of E1s to support a couple hundred Mb/s of down-stream capacity. The capital expended on providing the
facility has to include expanded capicty otherwise it doesn't make much sense to roll new technology in the first place.

OTOH, never underestimate "Because we can".

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668