nanog mailing list archives

RE: OSPF vs IS-IS

From: Leigh Porter <leigh.porter () ukbroadband com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 14:53:18 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Bush [mailto:randy () psg com]
Sent: 17 August 2011 14:52
To: Paul
Cc: nanog () nanog org
Subject: Re: OSPF vs IS-IS

What would you rather rely on at 3am in the morning when things are
breaking?  Someone who has just learned IS-IS or someone who already
has good experience with OSPF?

what would you rather rely on at three in the morning when things are
breaking, someone who has just learned OSPF or someone who already
has good experience with IS-IS?

this seems a silly reversal until you realize that OSPF is
significantly
more complex and thus harder.

randy

Indeed. Does it really take that long to become familiar enough with IS-IS to support it in most situations? It really
is not that difficult. I brought our ops people suitable up to speed with IS-IS over about one week of some lab work in
their spare time and a few chats over a whiteboard. A couple of times perhaps they called me over an issue, but since
then, I have not heard anything from any of them about it.

I guess it comes down to the quality of people you employ. But really, if they get OSPF then IS-IS is not hard to
grasp.

--
Leigh Porter