nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon Business - LTE?

From: Cameron Byrne <cb.list6 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 10:15:29 -0700

On Aug 16, 2011 9:41 AM, <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 10:53:24 EDT, Christopher Morrow said:

anyway, they do these donkey things because they can :( people have no
real option (except not to play the game, ala war games).

My brother recently tried to get a smartphone without a data plan (as the
phone he wanted was also Wifi-capable, and he was *quite* willing to be
able
to do data-type stuff only when in range of an access point because he's
in
range of one 95% of the time he'd want to use data features).  But at
least
one vendor said they wouldn't activate a phone under those conditions.

Anybody got a good pairing of Android-based smartphone and vendor willing
to play that game?

If you pay full price for the phone, this should not be an issue. Many
carriers price in data plans to offset the handset hardware subsidy.

I would recommend the unlocked nexus s with a prepaid sim for voice minutes
... and wifi for data only. Really, any phone you buy free and clear without
subsidy and contract should work fine as a phone with a prepaid sim