nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 end user addressing

From: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 09:54:30 +1200

Eugen,

On 2011-08-11 21:53, Eugen Leitl wrote:
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 01:52:10PM +1200, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Well, we know that the human population will stabilise somewhere below
ten billion by around 2050. The current unicast space provides for about

How about the machine population? How about self-replicating systems?

I think considering the size of such systems as a function of
the size of the human population is quite reasonable, in terms
of thinking about natural and economic limits to growth.

How about geography-based address allocation, to go away with global routing
tables?

That is a whole discussion in itself, but in any case it surely
won't be part of 2000::/3. Additionally, the number of prefixes
needed for any reasonable geographic scheme is quite trivial
compared to the trillions available.

How about InterPlaNet, such as LEO routers, solar power
satellites, controlling industrial production on the Moon and elsewhere?

Probably also trivial numbers compared to 15 trillion /48s,
but if not, again, we are not limited to 2000::/3 for ever.

EOF for me on this sub-topic.

   Brian