nanog mailing list archives

Re: Only 5x IPv4 /8 remaining at IANA

From: Jeroen Massar <jeroen () unfix org>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 17:08:10 +0200

On 2010-10-21 16:59, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
On 10/21/2010 4:28 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:

Actually for those of my clients in one location, it served as an
impetus to extend a contract with Level3 for another 3 years - with
their existing allocation of a /24 of IPv4 addresses included.

All well and good until some of their customers are on IPv6...
Then what?

I'm sorry, can you expand on exactly what you mean by this?

Are IPv6 connected machines unable to access IPv4 addresses?

Unless you put a application/protocol translation in the middle IPv6
can't talk to IPv4. yahoo("IVI","Ecdysis NAT64") for two possibilities
one have for that, oh and yahoo("IPv6Gate") for a ready-to-use HTTP
specific one.

But if you didn't know that fact, you might want to invest in a proper
book about IPv6 and read up quite a bit. As this is NANOG, a good
operational book is "Running IPv6".

Greets,
 Jeroen